Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Wiener Chowder

Today was a shitty, rainy and cold day that was just above the freezing mark here in Southern Ontario and tomorrow they are calling for the first snowfall of the year. I'm so not ready for winter. To try and get in the mood for snow, I decided it was time for a hearty family recipe... Wiener Chowder. Don't laugh, it tastes much better than it sounds.

Wiener Chowder was my father's creation as both my mother and sister do not like clams, yet my father and I loved New England style Clam Chowder. So Dad made Clam Chowdar with thinly sliced hot dogs instead. It is a great meal for cold rainy days as it warms and sticks to your insides... comfort food.

It was also a good time for me to try another Pomerol based wine...


Here is the LCBO information on the wine

CHÂTEAU ROUGET 2002

VINTAGES 51425
375 mL bottle
Price: $ 34.95
13.0% Alcohol
Vol.Sugar Content : XD
Made in: Bordeaux, France
By: Maison Sichel
Release Date: Oct 27, 2007

Description: Here's an attractive, very expressive Bordeaux that can be a delight tonight or enjoyed over the next 5 years. Flavours of dark plum, coffee and mocha fill out the palate in this round, lush and full-bodied Pomerol. Delicious with lamb, game or Camembert cheese

Here is the Wine Spectator's write up on the wine...

Earthy aromas with tobacco and plum character. Black licorice. But it?s round and soft on the palate with a smoky finish. I like it. Best after 2006. 2,250 cases made. –JS

Score: 87
Release Price: $35
Country: France Region: Bordeaux
Issue: Mar 31, 2005

My thoughts on the wine... as it a Pomerol based Bordeaux we are talking mainly Merlot with possibly some Cabernet Franc and or Cabernet Sauvignon blended in. It was definitely a Merlot, and this would have fooled me into thinking it was a California Merlot as it was very similar to a Rutherford Hill Merlot.

It was a OK pairing with the Chowder, and it would be an awesome match for the Lemon Cream and Prosciutto pasta recipe I mentioned in a earlier port. I enjoyed the wine, but at $35 for a half sized bottle, I wouldn't buy it again when the Rutherford Hill Merlot goes for $29 for a full sized bottle.

Keep warm and Cheers!

Mark.

No comments: