Saturday, November 3, 2007

The 1010 Bistro

The 1010 Bistro is located at 1010 King Street in Westdale in Hamilton, hence the name. My wife, Kathy and I enjoy this restaurant immensely. The food is first rate, good wine list, and the owners (David and Daniela) and staff (Lee) are the best.

http://www.1010bistro.ca/

Kathy and I took some time off of work (end of last week and the beginning of this week) and decided to kick our vacation off with dinner at the 1010.

We started with Crab Cakes and Grilled Calamari as our appetizers and I decided to try a bottle of Bouchard Pere & Fils Petit-Chabis to go with the appetizers. The Petit-Chabis is an unoaked Chardonnay from Burgundy. It was crisp with a nice touch of citrus and paired extremely well with the Crab Cakes, which was surprising as the Crab Cakes are served with a spicy sauce and spicy is usually a good way to fuck up a California Chardonnay. It was good with the Calamari as well. The Petit-Chabis was $40 at the 1010 and runs about $20 at the LCBO.

I tried a Bouchard Pere & Fils Bourgogne (also about $20 at the LCBO) about a month ago with a Pine Nut Salmon recipe I did for my in-laws at Thanksgiving and it was really good, so this is why I went with the Petit-Chablis as I wanted to see if it was as good as the Bourgogne.

For our main course I had the aged Beef Tenderloin and Kathy had the special which was a NY Strip and a very large grilled Prawn. Both were served with grilled fall harvest vegetables. We decided to stay on the French wine and ordered a 1989 Château Petit-Figeac from the St.-Emilion region of Bordeaux.

Here is the Wine Spectator's write up on the 1989 Château Petit-Figeac (88 rating)

Slightly one-dimensional but shows lovely chocolate and berry character throughout. Medium- to full-bodied, with velvety tannins.--1989 Bordeaux horizontal. Drink now. –JS

I do not have tons of experience with French Wines and have made it a mission to become more familiar with them, so I was excited about the opportunity to have an aged Bordeaux. The initial smells I got from the wine were subtle fruit and lots of earthy smells. The wine was very smooth and exceptionally easy to drink, the tannins were very soft but the fruit was barely there. The wine paired very well with food. I enjoyed it but wasn't blown away, there are other wines I have had in the wine's price point that I have enjoyed more. The wine was $310 at the 1010 and was listed in a 2005 newsletter from the Lifford Wine Agency for $160 a bottle.

Kathy had a flourless chocolate cake topped with white and dark mousse and a glass of Taylor Fladgate 20 year old port and we were the last in the Restaurant and sat and chatted with Lee and Daniela. Eventually we called a cab and got our drunken butts home.

All in all, a great evening at one of Hamilton's finest restaurants.

Cheers,

Mark

No comments: