Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Saturday Night – Marka Stewart - Part 2

Click here for Part 1

For the main course I had a huge beef craving and picked up four filets from our local butcher. I was surprised at the beef tenderloin selection as there were only two sizes – tiny and massive. Well, I did say that I had a huge beef craving so I ended up picking 4 of the biggest damn beef tenderloins I’d ever seen.

"Still drooling over how good this was!"

To give you an idea of the size of them, for normal sized beef tenderloin, I grill them for 10 minutes over very high heat and tent them for 4 minutes for perfect medium-rare. These ones I grilled for 21 minutes and tented them for 6 minutes to get that dead on medium-rare. The filets were topped with lobster meat, grilled shrimp, sugar snap peas and Béarnaise sauce. I also did some baby potatoes on the side.

"A new entry for the Top Ten Reds!"

Wine wise, I was in the mood for a premium Cabernet Sauvignon that I hadn’t tried before and selected a 1999 Beringer Private Reserve Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. I picked this wine up in NY state on special for $79.00 US (regular price was $99 US or about $125-150 CDN after duty and taxes).

"Oooo, I love Turtles!"

With this wine you needed less then 1 second of nosing it to tell it was a California Cab. The nose was a delightful combination of leather, smoke, cassis, blueberry and loam. The wine was a medium bodied, exceptionally balanced with very fine tannin. Black current and mild cherry were the two main flavours to the wine. This was not an overly complex wine but as Mick described it “It is what it is, but it’s really good at what it is…” which sums up this wine perfectly. It was stunning pairing with the meal.

Here is the group rating for the wine -Mick - 92, Mark - 92, Kathy – 91, Amy - 90, Overall – 91.25.

The 91.25 rating puts this wine firmly in the Zippy Sauce Top Ten Reds list.

Small side note - If I struck out with the carrot soup, I hit it out of the park with the main course as there were clean plates all round and the beef was just too good for words.

We finished off the evening with a Turtle ice cream cake but didn’t pair this with wine. It looks like next Saturday where Mick and Amy are busy so there maybe another lull in the blog for a week or so.

Cheers!

Mark

No comments: