Sunday, January 1, 2012

Saturday Night – Happy New Year! - Part 2


For the main course I did Beef Tenderloin with a port and shallot sauce with mashed potatoes with caramelized onions and a side of green beans.  I went with another bottle I was looking forward to trying - a 1996 Chateau Margaux.  Chateau Margaux is one of the five first growth Bordeaux and we hadn’t tried it yet, so I was eagerly looking forward to this.


The nose on the wine was a mix of eucalyptus, buttered lobster, rose, cherry, cassis and vanilla.  Tasting the wine, cassis and black licorice are the dominate flavours to the wine.  For the structure of the wine you will find fine silky tannins, good acidity and a lovely delicate balance to the wine.  Mick and Kathy really loved this wine, I on the other hand was disappointed as I found it too thin and too precise, I like my Cabernet Sauvignon blends to be bigger and bolder with a huge mouth-feel to them and this wine was not that.  I was a decent pairing with the food and I enjoyed it, just didn’t love it.


Here is the group rating for the wine -Mick – 94, Mark - 89, Kathy – 93, Amy – 90, Overall – 91.5.


Here is the LCBO information on the wine -

CHÂTEAU MARGAUX 2001

VINTAGES 176826
750 mL bottle
Price: $ 695.00
Wine, Red Wine
13.0% Alcohol/Vol.
Sugar Content : XD
Made in: Bordeaux, France
By: Compagnie Medocaine Des Grands Crus
Release Date: May 5, 2010

Tasting Note - Performing well from bottle, Chateau Margaux's 2001, which is somewhat reminiscent of both the 1985 and 1999, is an elegant, seamlessly constructed effort with a deep ruby/purple color, and a beautiful nose of flowers, creme de cassis, blackberries, and cedar. A blend of 82% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Merlot, 7% Petit Verdot, and 4% Cabernet Franc, this forward, opulent beauty can be drunk now or cellared for 15-20 years. This is one of the most elegant wines of the vintage. Score - 93. (Robert Parker Jr., erobertparker.com, June 2004)
Please note that this is for the 2001 and not the 1996 reviewed here.  Kathy found this bottle two years ago at the LCBO for $399.  The $399 price for a Chateau Margaux was a heck of deal.  For two years I had been looking longingly at this bottle in the rack and itching to try it.  The wine was nice but just didn’t meet my expectations.


For dessert we did dark chocolate and a cheese platter and finished up the wine with the chocolate and opened a bottle of Yalumba Antique Tawny to go with the cheese. 

It was fun New Year’s Eve and I very much enjoyed trying the two wines whose price point dictate that these are a once year type of occasion.  I’d like to wish my readers a Happy New Year and look forward to discovering all sorts of new and wonderful wines in 2012.

Cheers!

Mark

No comments: