Saturday, January 3, 2009

New Year’s Eve 2009 – Part 2

For the main course, I purchased four nice sized beef tenderloins from our local butcher. I decided to garnish the beef with lobster and grilled shrimp in a Béarnaise sauce. Sides of green beans and baby red potatoes completed the course

"I get hungry just looking at this..."

The wine pairing was a 1999 Joseph Phelps Insignia. I have gushed about how truly amazing Joseph Phelps’ wines are many times in this blog and Insignia is Joseph Phelps’ flagship wine. We had the 1999 Insignia a couple of years back and were stunned by how wonderful this wine was.

I opened and poured out the wine to give it some time to breath before the main course was served. Just pouring out the wine, and not sniffing the glass directly, I was already being hit by the nose of the wine -- dark chocolate, dark berry, tobacco, wood shavings with loamy/mossy/earthy undertones.

"Heaven in a glass!"

After about 25 minutes, I was back serving up the meal and sat down to join everyone at the table. They were already purring about the wine as all of them had been sneaking sips while I slaved over the stove but I’m sure if I was sitting there I would have been doing the same thing.

I was practically drooling as I sat down and got to try my first sip. The wine didn’t disappoint -- big core of dark chocolate, clove, coffee and plum, perfect balance with finish that lingered on and on in an extremely good way.

The wine was incredible with the food and speaking of the food, it was really good – everything was cooked perfectly which really amazed me as it was the first time I tried grilling beef on the grill on the new range. With all new appliances, I figured I would have screwed at least one thing up! My old stove was electric and the new one is gas so this has been a real adjustment.

Here is the group rating for the wine -Mick – 93, Mark - 95, Kathy – 95, Amy – 94, Overall – 94.25.

That is the highest group rating for a wine to date and it is much deserved. This is the type of red wine that you could serve to someone who only likes white wine and they would drain their glass to the last drop. It is that good.

Here is the LCBO information on the 2004 Insignia and not the 1999 reviewed here –

Joseph Phelps Insignia 2004

VINTAGES 710400
750 mL bottle
Price: $ 255.00
Wine, Red Wine,
14.7% Alcohol/Vol.
Sugar Content : XD
Made in: California/Californie, United States
By: Joseph Phelps Vineyards
Release Date: Nov 4, 2008

Tasting Note - The 2004 Insignia (the first to be 100% from the estate vineyards) is a blend of 72% Cabernet Sauvignon, 14% Merlot, 12% Petit Verdot, and the rest Malbec. I had this wine several times in Napa, and it is a beauty. A flashy, exuberant style for Phelps, with dense ruby/purple color, a gorgeous nose of creme de cassis, incense, licorice, smoke, and spice, the wine has supple tannins, a flamboyant, full-bodied mouthfeel, and tremendous length. Despite its precociousness and up-front style, this wine should evolve easily for 20 or more years. There are 10,000 cases of the 2004. Score - 95. (Robert Parker Jr., www.erobertparker.com, Dec. 2007)

Here is the Wine Spectator review of the 1999 Insignia –

Joseph Phelps Insignia Napa Valley 1999

Dark, rich and intensely concentrated, with a firm, tightly wound core of currant, black cherry, mineral, anise, sage and mocha-laced oak. Well-focused, with firm acidity and firm yet supple tannins. A young blockbuster in need of cellaring. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Petit Verdot, Cabernet Franc and Malbec. Best from 2004 through 2016. 15,000 cases made. –JL

Release Price - $125
Score – 94

No comments: