Sunday, November 16, 2014

Saturday Night – Steak, steak and more steak – Part 1

This past Saturday night I had a craving for steak so my starter and my main course were both steak based courses.  The first course was a blackened steak salad and I paired this with a 2005 Elderton Barossa Shiraz.
 

The nose on the wine had a lot going on with Black Forest cake, white pepper, mint, thyme, green pepper and coffee aromas to be found.  Tasting the wine, raspberry, fig, pepper and coffee were the main flavours with black licorice on the finish.  It was nicely balancing though the acidity was more dominant than the tannin.  The wine had a very Italian feel to it as the fruit and acidity drove this wine and it reminded me more of a Chianti than a Shiraz.  There were a lot of big flavours coming from the blacked steak salad and this wine was more than big enough to stand up to them and it made a great pairing for the dish.  The wine was also quite good on its own as I very much enjoyed drinking it after the first course was done.



Here is the group rating for the wine - Mick – 91, Mark – 90, Kathy – 90, Amy – 89, Overall – 90.

There was no LCBO information on the wine but a quick web search puts the price at $30-35 Canadian which for a wine of this caliber is a heck of deal.  I’m usually not a big Shiraz fan but a few more like this one and I will be changing my tune on this.

Click here for Part 2

No comments: